Thursday, May 17, 2007

RISD

I am thinking about applying to the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence for graduate school. The school has a program for a Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree. This one year program has a curriculum that sounds exciting and the idea, in general, really intrigues me! Here is a summary of what MAT is about:


Students in Art + Design Education are passionate about their disciplines andcommitted to the work of transforming art education in k-12 schools, museums and community settings.
This intensive one-year program (MAT) enables students to earn certification as k-12 art teachers. Educational theory is advanced through a variety of personal teaching experiences,
such as planning and teaching classes to high school students in a risd Museum program; creating a learning adventure for students at a public elementary school; and completing six-week teaching experiences in both elementary and secondary public schools. Through the Interstate Compact, risd’s mat graduates meet requirements for recommendation for certification in k-12 art instruction in at least 44 other states.


How did I hear about RISD?
One night I was researching information on Jarrett J. Krosoczka, one of my favorite children's book illustrator/authors. I found out he had attended RISD and thought I'd check out what it's like. (I can't wait for Punk Farm on Tour to come out in !!!)

What would I do next?
If I were to complete this degree I would love to begin working on some children's books and teaching either in art or in the general classroom. I am worrying about how I will afford this school and even if I will be accepted; additionally, I have been wondering whether or not I should begin teaching as soon as I earn my bachelor's degree in Elementary Ed this coming Spring. I believe I'll apply anyway and see what happens. It's one of those situations where I feel I have to do it now or else I may not come back to the chance later. Leave me a comment if you know anything about RISD's MAT program or have any advice.

No comments: