Thursday, April 19, 2007

Garehime Heights














This photograph was taken at Garehime ES. My classmate Leah and I had the opportunity to visit this school with our Social Studies class. The students shared with us their responsibilities within the school.

I really enjoyed seeing what the students were up to and I learned all about micro-communities. The students are responsible for their actions and have a courthouse, mayor and other political positions, institutions, currency, a chamber of commerce, you name it!

From this experience I was really able to see how a role as a citizen can be authentic for students. The students in the community of Garehime Heights take ownership in their school environment and truly understand the interrelationship amongst their student body.

Going to Town is a night where students' families are able to visit the school's community and purchase their products and services. One classroom provided the service of photography and everyone in my class received a free coupon for one sitting and one frame. The frames were adorable and so creative! I could tell that the students were into their service and it was evident that they put time into preparation and were excited to show it off :)

No comments: